Innovation for Rail
Safer Rails with Acoustic Monitoring
Keolis Commuter Services in Boston uses the RailBAM bearing acoustic monitoring system to ensure the health of rail bearings and to prevent potential catastrophic events. Any unusual sounds trigger alerts, allowing our maintenance team to take action before bearings overheat or break.
From Tap H20 to Eco-Friendly Sanitizer
Keolis identified and implemented an environmentally conscious and remarkably efficient cleaning solution for VRE. The innovative approach involves passing tap water through a PathoSans machine, transforming it into a sanitizing cleaning solution. This reduces reliance on traditional supplies, prevents the spread of SARS-CoV-2, and saves VRE $24k annually.
Investing in Innovation
Annual miles travelled using alternative energies in 2022
Goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 2030
ISO 14001 coverage rate for Keolis locations worldwide
Reduced paper printing at North American rail terminals
Resiliency & Sustainability
Keolis plays a key role in facilitating the transition to more sustainable and climate resilient rail operations. We help our agency partners identify real, actionable ways to reduce their carbon footprints, backed by data. Here are just a few examples:
- Installation of sensing technology to reduce fuel consumption
- Recommendations for locomotive fuel alternatives, including biofuels
- Identification of federal funding opportunities for green initiatives
- Support transitioning to electric train operation and maintenance
- Strategic planning for extreme weather events
Keolis is committed to leveraging data and technology to improve public transit services and ensure passenger satisfaction. Here are a few initiatives that spotlight our investment in innovation:
- Smart video cameras used to measure occupancy
- Augmented reality helps guide passengers during construction
- Contactless ticket readers available to wheelchair users
- QR codes for passengers to buy and validate tickets
- Onboard payment systems
“We bring innovation and forward thinking to everything we do. Our innovation efforts are the foundation for performance improvements and it shows throughout our network.” Kay O’Neil, Chief of Network Strategy, KCS
Learn about Keolis Rail innovations for the good of our passengers, partners, employees and the planet.
Energy Transition – How Keolis Can Help Navigate The Alternative Fuels Pathway
Pulse, 10th Edition (Smart Mobility for Big Shows: Sharing Ideas to Shape the Future of Mobility)
Innovation in action: discover 27 initiatives across our networks!
Keolis rewards innovation at its 2nd Innovation Awards edition